Thursday, July 21, 2022

Spirituality For Old Age?

 

There is a commonly prevalent notion that spiritual practices like chanting and meditation are for old people. Many of my clients tell me that the seniors in the house (parents/ parents-in-law) express their deep disapproval  if their progeny starts these in their youth. Recently a distressed client told me that due to her mother-in-law’s cribbing, she stopped chanting one and a half years back. I instructed her to start chanting every day before we embarked on any therapy.

Devil’s workshop

Last week an old friend visited us in Belgaum. He stays in a metropolitan city. He retired a decade back, has difficulty in walking and is very disturbed by the fact that his mind is in a constant state of worry. He just takes up common situations in life, think of all horrible things that can happen in relation to that and the mind goes into overdrive.

“Now that there is no other job to do, this is what I do 24/7.”

I asked whether he does any meditation or chanting and was fascinated by his reply. “I have never done anything like that in my youth, it is very difficult to start at this age.”

My belief confirmed

This has been my belief right from the beginning and I have advised several people to start some spiritual practice when body and mind are in prime condition, and to train their kids too. By disciplining oneself in this aspect, one gets guided as to how to lead a peaceful life as the mind doesn’t over run. When one has lived a totally logical and materialistic life for five or six decades, it is very difficult to start something new.

Please don’t waste precious years of your life

So, please don’t wait any more. In India, we have ample guidance that our ‘Seers’ have left as our legacy. People may think they are just superstitions, but every single advice has a strong scientific basis, which, unfortunately, has not been passed on to the newer generations. It is heartening to see that many of these facts are now being proven by Quantum physics.

No comments: